You may wish to include followup materials after the main body of your book. Pressbooks makes it easy to format these as back matter. They will appear after the main body of your book.
This chapter will explain:
- How to create, edit, delete and change back matter items
- Types of back matter, and how to create them
1. How Back Matter Works in Pressbooks
Back matter is the stuff at the end of your book, after the main sections of the book are finished. Some common items in Back matter include: Epilogue, Index, Bibliography.
Back matter items are essentially chapters within a part, with one additional option to customize.
The Back Matter Types menu lets you indicate an item’s type.
The process to create, edit, delete, rename or reorder back matter items is the same way as that for Chapters, with one additional option.
2. Types of Back Matter, and How to Create Them
Pressbooks lets you specify 24 types of back matter, including Miscellaneous.
These types are:
- About the Author
- About the Publisher
- Author’s Note
- Back of Book Ad
- Biographical Note
- Other Books by Author
- Reading Group Guide
- Suggested Reading
To designate back matter type:
- Go to the Pressbooks dashboard. Click on Text, then go to Organize.
- Press the Edit button adjacent to your desired back matter element.
- On the right of your edit screen, select the correct dropdown in the Back Matter Types menu that applies to the desired type.
- Publish by using the Update button.